Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Have A Little Faith

I've just finished reading Mitch Albom's latest book, 'Have A Little Faith.' The book tells the true story of two persons, a Jewish rabbi and an African American pastor who used to be drug dealer.

Being a Jew himself, Mitch had known the rabbi since he was a young boy. However, Mitch was never really interested in matters of faith. One day, the rabbi asks Mitch whether he would be willing to write his eulogy. Mitch honours that request. Thus began a beautiful 8 year friendship between the two of them.

Mitch also tells the story of Pastor Henry and how his scepticism of this pastor turns to admiration as he hears stories of what this pastor had done for his church members - fed and clothed the homeless and even opened up his own home to them.

I liked how Mitch ties everything together with wonderful gems of true life stories and excerpts of the rabbi's sermons. The theme that resonated throughout the book was that there are times when we can't see a miracle happening, but it is happening. Sometimes we cry out in desperation, and God hears. Although we can't see Him, He's there. And we have to put our faith in Him.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow so good! I must read like you. I can't remember the last book I read :-(

J.C. said...

Arrived here from Stephanie's gardening blog. Glad I clicked the link.

Mitch Albom is one of my all time favourite author! His books always awaken me to appreciate important things that I tend to neglect, e.g. family. I would certainly like to check out this book. Thanks!